Guide to Mobile, AL
Mobile offers a range of outdoor adventures that will put to work all five senses. The city of Mobile is also renowned for having the some of the best seafood in the world, as well as, 21 world class golf courses. It is also listed as one of the top 50 places to live, work and play by the National Geographic Traveler.↑ Back to Top
Where is the port?
Cruise ships dock at the Alabama Cruise Terminal, which is located on eastern edge of the city, along the banks of the Mobile River (see map).↑ Back to Top
What language is spoken at this port? Do they speak English?
English is the official language, however you will encounter some strong southern accents among the locals.↑ Back to Top
What is the time zone in Mobile, AL?
Mobile, AL is on Central Standard Time (-6 GMT).
Current Time - Mobile, AL, USA↑ Back to Top
What is the national currency?
The US Dollar (USD).
Where can I get or exchange money?
If you are exchanging international currency, such as Euros or Canadian Dollars, Mobile Regional Airport and some downtown hotels are the most accessible locations to the Port of Mobile.
- Banks closest to cruise Port:
There are many banks within a couple of miles of the Port of Mobile, below are a few:
- Wells Fargo Bank, located at 61 Saint Joseph ST, Mobile, AL 36602, is less than half a mile southwest of the port (see map.)
- Whitney National Bank, located at 50 North Royal Street, Mobile, AL 36602-3804, is less than half a mile southwest of the port (see map.)
- Regions Bank, located at 31 North Royal Street, Mobile, AL 36602, is less than 2 miles west of the port (see map.)
- ATMs closest to cruise Port:
There are many ATMs located in the cruise terminal and throughout the city.
How can I stay in touch with home? (Ex. Email, phone, etc.)
Most cell phone plans in the US now offer free nationwide roaming. Contact your cell phone provider for information regarding roaming rates. Also, public phones are available throughout the city. If the United States is not home, you can purchase calling cards at most any gas station or convenience store to make international calls affordably.
Where are the Internet cafes?
Mobile’s Internet Cafe options are limited, however there is free WiFi available at the Mobile Regional Airport, Starbucks and many McDonald’s locations. If you are staying at a hotel before your cruise, check before making a reservation to see if they offer free WiFi and/or computer(s) with Internet access for guest use.
What are the cell phone rates?
Most cell phone plans in the US now offer free nationwide roaming. Contact your cell phone provider for information regarding roaming rates.↑ Back to Top
Mobile has a mild subtropical climate due to its proximity to the Gulf of Mexico. Summers in Mobile are hot and humid, while winters are generally mild and rainy.
Average Monthly Temperatures and Rainfall↑ Back to Top
Getting around Mobile on foot is easy in the bay and downtown areas. Attractions and places to eat are easily accessible for pedestrians.
Taxis are a safe, clean and reliable form of transportation in Mobile. Yellow Cab is the largest provider in the area. Call (251) 476-7711 to order a taxi.
The public bus system in Mobile, called The WAVE Transit System, is an easily accessible way to get around the city. For a full list of Route Schedules and Services click here.
For those that rather not fly into Mobile for your cruise, Greyhound Buses offer service to Mobile. The Greyhound Bus Service terminal is located at 2545 Government Blvd. Call (800) 231-2222 for more information.
Most major rental car companies offer service to the Mobile area, including offices in the Mobile Regional Airport. If you are driving, please visit http://www.mobile.org/vis_maps.php for a list of key area maps and driving distances.
Below are a few rental car companies that service the Mobile area:
The Mobile Bay Ferry, transports both vehicles and passengers between Dauphin Island and Gulf Shores.↑ Back to Top
What is the best way to travel between the port and the airport
Mobile Regional Airport is located 13 miles west of the Alabama Cruise Terminal (see map.) Airport shuttles provide service to and from the Alabama Cruise Terminal at $13/pp each way or $25/pp roundtrip (children under the age of 12 ride free.) Taxi service is available from both the aiport and cruise terminal for about $40 each way.
Which hotels are convenient to get to/from the port?
There are several hotels in the Historic Downtown Mobile area, Mobile International Airport and Mobile Beach areas that are more than adequate for one, two or several nights stay before and after your cruise. Below are a few different lodging options depending on your needs:
- If you are driving from out of town to Mobile for your cruise:
Holiday Inn Downtown Historic District is located near the USS Alabama Battleship, Bellingrath Gardens and just 3/4 of a mile away from Alabama Cruise Terminal (see map). The Holiday Inn Downtown Historic District offers free parking in adjacent covered parking lot for the duration of your cruise, free shuttle to and from the Alabama Cruise Terminal, free high speed wireless access, free business center, and fitness center. Contact the reservations desk at (251)694-0100 for more details regarding their cruise package.
- If you are flying to Mobile for your cruise:
The Wingate by Wyndham - Mobile Alabama is 9 miles east Mobile Regional Airport and 9 miles west of the Alabama Cruise Terminal(see map). The Wingate by Wyndham - Mobile Alabama offers free shuttle service to and from the hotel and Mobile Regional Airport. Free shuttle service is also offered to the port from the hotel for cruise passengers. Contact the reservations desk at (251)441-1979 for more details regarding shuttle service for cruise guests.
- If you are staying at the hotel for several nights before/after your cruise:
Renaissance Riverview Plaza Hotel - Mobile, Alabama, located less than half a mile north of the Alabama Cruise Terminal, is well situated near the historic downtown Mobile area and many area attractions. This hotel also offers complimentary parking in hotel garage for duration of cruise and shuttle service to and from cruise terminal. For reservations and more information contact the hotel at (251)438-4000
What are the must-drinks? Where is the best place to get one?
An Alabama Slammer, made with Southern Comfort, amaretto, sloe gin, a splash of OJ and sweet and sour mix, is drink of choice here. There are several bars in the historic downtown area, from electric piano bars like Dahlia's to dive bars with a jukebox and a pool table like Veet's.↑ Back to Top
Which are the best souvenirs to buy in Mobile? Where can I get them?
Mardi Gras masks and beads make a good souvenir from Mobile, which like its sister-city New Orleans is known for its celebration of Mardi Gras. The place to get your Mardi Gras souvenirs is Toomey’s Mardi Gras located 11 miles east of the Mobile Regional Airport and 5 miles southwest of the cruise terminal.
Box of Three Georges Chocolate may not last if you buy before your cruise, but it is a Mobile original. Around since 1917, Three Georges makes everything from candy to cakes.
Antiques make a fine souvenir of your time in Mobile, Alabama.Antiques at the Loop, located at 2103 Airport Boulevard, has over 11,000 square feet of antiques.↑ Back to Top
What are the top attractions and must-sees in Mobile?
5 Rivers Alabama’s Delta Resource Center, home to 250,000 acres of scenic waterways, woods and wetlands. Bartram Canoe and Kayak Landing tours are also offered at 5 Rivers. A great new location for outdoor fun, 5 Rivers provides hunting, fishing, boating and wildlife watching experiences for the whole family to enjoy!
- Bellingrath Gardens and Home offers 65 acres of breathtaking scenery and fragrances. It is open year round from 8am-5pm, except for Christmas Day. If you’re visiting March-November, you can also book the Southern Belle River Cruise. For a full list of admission prices and tour packages, please visit their website.
- Battleship Memorial Park, America’s most unique military attraction, offers a tour the USS Alabama Battleship, winner of 9 World War II Battle Stars. It is open year round, except for Christmas Day. For a full list of admission prices and visitor information, please visit their website.
Mobile offers unique specialty stores and large malls to find just about anything you are looking for. Specialty stores sell anything from antiques and hand painted furniture to designer baby clothes. The Bel Air Mall, at more than 1.3 million square feet, is one of the largest enclosed malls along the Gulf Coast and Mobile's best shopping option. Bel Air Mall has over 130 stores, including 5 large department stores and is located just 6 miles west of the port.↑ Back to Top
Mobile is home to twenty-one world-class golf courses. Below are a few of the best options:
- Magnolia Grove, located 14 miles northwest of the port area at 7001 Magnolia Grove Pkwy (see map), offers 36 holes of championship play between the Crossings and Falls courses and an additional 18-hole par 3 venue. Call (251) 645-0075 for more information and/or tee times for either of the three courses.
- Timber Creek Golf Club, located 13 miles east of the port at 9650 Timbercreek Blvd. (see map), offers 27 holes of championship golf. Rated four stars by Golf Digest, Timber Creek is carved out of forests of magnolias, dogwoods and pines. Call (251) 621-9900 for more information and/or tee times.
- Rock Creek Golf Club, located 17 miles southeast of the port at 140 Clubhouse Drive (see map), offers a 6,920-yard, 18 hole, par 72 course. Call (800) 458-8815 or (251) 928-4223 for more information and/or rates and tee times.
Enjoy Mobile's wildlife and scenic natural beauty with various tours listed below:
- Alabama Cruises - Southern Belle, a 45-minute cruise of Fowl River and its wildlife located at Bellingrath Gardens and Home.
- Delta Explorer takes you on a guided tour of historic Blakeley State Park, which is located 14 miles northeast of the port area. For reservations call (251)626-5581.
- Delta Airboat Express takes you on an exploration of Mobile Bay and the Tensaw River Delta. Tours depart from the Original Oyster House restaurant. Reservations recommended, call (251)370-7089.
- Five Rivers Delta Safaris take the "Pelican" Pontoon Boat Delta Cruise or try out the Deep Delta Waverunner Safari. For more information, call (251) 259-8531.